Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Well, we got the 10 foot candy canes put up in the yard today! Odell made them a couple of years ago and they are very fun. The kids love them. We got some smaller ones to line the yard as well, so we are candy cane lane! A huge snowman holds a candy cane in the center of it all. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

We had a conference call with the special ed. director for Lake City school today. We were very much less than impressed. If the principal/superintendent of Lake City school will only offer what was described to us today, Kaegan will not be a part of their program. They actually offered a 4'x4' space for Kaegan to receive one on one teaching as though that makes sense to anyone. I don't even consider that an appropriate space for my dog. Her big thing is that she wants him included in the regular classroom. I doubt if she has ever even MET a child with autism, yet she knows best. It is irritating for her to call the shots with absolutely no experience at all with autism.... That poor classroom teacher....

They told us that the special needs teacher they have on campus is more than qualified to teach Kaegan which I might buy if she hadn't already told me herself very plainly that she doesn't think she is qualified. Sheeeesh. I must not seem all that bright.

Never-the-less, even if I homeschool Kaegan and we are just not paying all the moolah for his program anymore, it is a relief for Odell, so it isn't a "deal-breaker" that the school won't work out for Kaegan. Besides, there is a possibility that the principal will be her own boss and do something closer to right for Kaegan. If not, though, I wonder about sending any of my kids there. I can't really think that they have the best in mind for any child when they offer a 4x4 space for one of them....hmmm.

I'm not sure how we would do our fun new magic tricks with that small amount of room. And how could we do our amazing long jump? And the peccarie stampede would just be out of the question along with shaking the coconut tree. Just when I'm about to convince him that people are fun, someone has to demonstrate how NOT fun they can be.

I described for her how Kaegan learns best in a distraction-free environment. Mindy, she wants to put him in Maddie's class. Would you call that distraction-free?

The 4x4 space certainly sounds like it meets the distraction-free criteria, though.

bummer, but oh well. At least I don't have to work on my resume.'

1 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a sad thing to hear! I wish I knew how to be happy about the possible move with all my heart, but I don't. I'm working on it though. It's just hard to imagine you leaving just a few days after I get home. Anyway, schools stink. Didn't they used to use 4X4 rooms to punish kids that were REALLY bad? lol. I would cry if KK were confined to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home